Monday, February 8, 2010

NJ Landlord submitted false charges to bond company..what can I do?

I moved out of my townhouse in May. 6 months later I started getting calls from a debt collector. Apparently, the landlord submitted $1250 in charges to the bond company covering my security deposit without any prior notification to me! After calling and 2 registered mails, the landlord finally responded about 2 months later with fictitious claims that the apartment was dirty!! ie mirror filthy $20, bathroom dirty $40 etc adding up to $1200 plus $50 in final water bills that I paid! What are my options? How do I proceed? Should I file a claim against them? Unfortunately, I did not take pictures but I had a cleaning service come in every week and also the moving company can verify the cleanliness etc. The landlord had my forwarding address and forwarded the final water bill! Yet, did not send a move out letter outlining the ';charges'; but submitted them directly to the bond company without my knowledge!NJ Landlord submitted false charges to bond company..what can I do?
In the U.S., the LL has thirty days to mail you an itemized accounting of the charges against your deposit. It has to be mailed to the last known address the LL has for you. Failing to do so has monetary penalities.





Based on what you said, you need to file suit in court for failing to provide you with an accounting. You also need to get in touch with the water dept. and get your old bills to show you were paid up. Take them to court with you. Same with the cleaning company.





It doesn't sound like you won't have too much trouble making this go away if you gather your evidence and follow procedure. NJ Landlord submitted false charges to bond company..what can I do?
a; i presume you chose not to have a final walk through.


b; the law states that deposits will be refunded within 14 days;


why did you not sue on the 15th day when you did not get


your deposit back?


c; NOW you must sue and don't want. Sue for the deposit


plus 3x damages.





NEXT time you leave a rental, DO THE WALK THROUGH WITH


THE LL and take the pictures and agree on the condition or


agree to disagree.





Then, you won't be surprised.



Get copys of the paid water bill and the cashed check.... get proof from the cleaning service... ect.


I think it's illegal to charge $20 to clean a mirror and so on... sue the sh*t out of the guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment