Thursday, February 4, 2010

If someone got a hold of my debit card info and made false charges, what can I do?

If someone got a hold of my debit card info on the Internet and made false charges, would they only be able to charge up to the amount of my debit card, or would it go in the negative? What would I do with the bank to protect myself against these charges?





I shopped online and am afraid this might happen.If someone got a hold of my debit card info and made false charges, what can I do?
despite what teh companies claim very little can be done. Only shop in SECURE sites (SSL with a padlock on it) amd make dsang sure you know this compnay you are ordering from.If someone got a hold of my debit card info and made false charges, what can I do?
Check with the bank; bank policies differ. You do not have as much legal protection using a debit card as you do a credit card, but if you check your statements promptly and carefully, and alert the bank at once if you see anything weird, you are probably off the hook.
Under Federal law, you have fewer protections for debit cards than for credit cards, but you do have some protection. It depends on how quickly you report a lost or stolen card. If you do it quickly enough, you can limit your liability to $50. These laws are enforced by the Federal Trade Commission and the link gives you the FTC article on this problem. It's up to an internet seller to prove you made the charge, and if their records show an order to be shipped to an address different from yours, that could be difficult for them to do.
It depends on which bank issued your debit card; some banks offer the same protection for a debit card as for a credit card--that is, a certain limit beyond which you are no longer responsible, usually $50 or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment