Thursday, February 4, 2010

Someone has filed false harassment charges on me at work, What can I do?

I recently recieved word from HR at my employer that another employee accused me of harassment.....I never harrassed this employee at anytime and the allegations are false It is basically a big load of heresay. What can I do? or what can be done legally?Someone has filed false harassment charges on me at work, What can I do?
see if you can get a copy of the complaint or at least what's in the complaint. Find out your company's policy and what happens next. Ask about mediation and what the person making the complaint wants in return. Maybe a written apology is all he/she wants.





I'm not saying you did anything wrong, or you harassed this person. However, he/she could have overheard you say/do something on a number of occasions, and you and the person/people you were talking to (your coworkers) did not take this as wrong or hurtful, but the person making the complaint did. You may have committed harassment and not even known it.





So my first steps would be find out what is in the complaint, who it is (if they will tell you) see if HR will do mediation and see if a written/verbal apology would be accepted.





Also take all the information your told from HR and take it to a lawyer to see what they say.Someone has filed false harassment charges on me at work, What can I do?
This can lead to a whole heap of trouble for you. From the outset you need to get a list of the allegations against you and take them to your legal straight away. Witnesses need to be spoken to before the other party has a chance to influence them. This is a very bad situation for you and you need to protect yourself with good legal advice.
take it to court
I had a similar experience and consulted a lawyer friend and was basically told ';nothing';. But I would document every interaction you have with this person so that when he or she says something questionable, you can return the favor.
Thats called slander I believe. If what they say is proven untrue and it ruins your rep, you can sue their pants off.
You need a lawyer.
  • under my skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment